Gingerbread Popcorn GateauxCreate our Christmas showstopper for the family to enjoy!
Product: Gingerbread Popcorn
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 85 minutes
Total Time: 115 minutes
Serving: 12 pieces
For the cake…
- 350g butter
- 400g caster sugar
- 6 tbsp golden syrup
- 450ml whole milk
- 500g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the spiced toffee buttercream…
- 200g butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
For the caramel…
- 50g butter
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 100ml whipping cream
- 100g Butterkist Gingerbread Popcorn
- 2 tbsp popping candy
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a 23cm cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the butter, sugar, golden syrup and milk into a large heavy based saucepan. Bring the mix to the boil over a low heat mixing occasionally to ensure to sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set to one side.
- Place the remaining dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Pour over the hot wet ingredients in 4 additions stirring well between additions to avoid lumps.
- Divide the mix between both tins equally and bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour 10 minutes. To ensure your cake is cooked insert a skewer into the center of the cake, if cooked the skewer should come out clean.
- Allow your cake to cool slightly before inverting onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the buttercream…
- Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl, mix to combine into a sooth buttercream. Add a teaspoon of boiling water if your buttercream is too stiff.
To make the spiced caramel…
- In a small pan melt the butter and sugar over a low heat.
- Once melted add the cream and bring to the boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Set to one side to cool.
- Cut your cooled cake in three using a serrated knife. Place your first layer on a cake stand. Spread a layer of buttercream onto the first cake layer and top with the next. Repeat between each layer to sandwich each cake together and top with a layer of buttercream.
- Decorate your gateaux with a generous tower of Butterkist Gingerbread Popcorn and drizzle generously with the cooled spiced caramel. Finish your showstopper with a sprinkling of popping candy.
Fancy trying one of our other flavours?
We have lots more flavours for you to try!